A. J. Mason served as president and L. C. Hardridge as secretary. In 1916 the African Methodist Episcopal Church established Flipper Davis College, the only private institution for African Americans in the state, at Tullahassee. The college, which occupied the old Tullahassee Mission, was closed after the end of the 1935 session. The A. J. Mason Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places (NR 85001743).
Tullahassee served as a rural market center for black farmers residing in the surrounding agricultural community. The post office was established in 1899, with a Professor Willis serving as the first postmaster. The town was incorporated in 1902 and platted in 1907.The A.J. Mason Building was constructed in 1912, during this period of growth for Tullahassee. The Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railway line ran through the town, helping to attract settlers. Community growth was aided by the Tullahassee Town Site Company, which solicited residents throughout the South.
TOWNSHIP OF TULLAHASSEE
The name for Tullahassee is derived from two Native American words: “tulwa” meaning town and “ahassee” meaning something old
Carter G. Woodson School is listed in the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory as a resource related to African American history. Tullahassee's population held steady at nearly 200 from 1920. In 1970 it dropped to 145 residents.